Friday, November 20, 2009

Evra Reddy for Final Chance

FRENCH FLIES ... Patrice Evra is desperate to jet out for World Cup finals

PATRICE EVRA is prepared to see red tonight if it means France reach the World Cup finals.

The Manchester United full-back was in the thick of it as his team-mates clashed with Republic of Ireland players at Croke Park on Saturday.

And he will not be worried about getting sent off - as long as he is on the plane to South Africa in the summer.

Evra said: "You have to be willing to sacrifice yourself in these circumstances, you have to think about the team.

"If I had to pull someone's shirt in the last minute when they are through on goal, I would have done it in Dublin, even if it meant missing the return leg."

The French hold a 1-0 lead in this World Cup qualifier play-off.

Evra reckons he was brought down in the box by Irish keeper Shay Given in the first leg - and a second goal would have given France some breathing space.

The defender added: "The referee had a great game, he let the play go a lot. But I had both my feet taken away from me during that move while I still had the ball.

"I'm sure it was a penalty. I asked myself why he hadn't booked me if I thought I had dived.

"He must have thought I'd dived just because I jumped up just before the contact because I was scared to get hurt." Should France fail to book a finals place, coach Raymond Domenech troubled spell in charge would come to an end.

But he does not want to consider that possibility.

Domenech said: "The only feeling I have now is impatience for the game. This games opens the door to the World Cup.

Advertisement

"I know I can die and it could be my last game. But we will play to win the game on the night. We have quality players and can play positive football. What will I tell them? I will invite them to go out there and win."

Domenech insists the storm surrounding Lassana Diarra's row with the Irish at full-time on Saturday will not disrupt the focus of Les Bleus.

Diarra has denied making an obscene remark to midfielder Keith Andrews.

And Domenech added: "It's not a problem. Me and the players are used to side-shows and they never interfere with the main show.

"Lassana never said those things.

"We need cold blood, patience, intelligence and enthusiasm. I trust the fans to show the will to go to the World Cup.

"I don't need to motivate these players. I actually need to quieten them so they dont get over-excited."


No comments:

Post a Comment